Monday 2 August 2021

I Bought A Bamboo Toothbrush On The Way To Work This Morning

 I'm not an expert in ecologically sound policy. Hell, I'm barely a linguist, media analyst or philosopher and I've actually studied those topics. It still seems like a sound argument to me that we need to use bamboo in more material goods. It's sturdy, grows fast and makes a cool "donk" sound if you run water through until the log drops.

I needed a new toothbrush for use after rushed breakfasts on the way to work and one made of bamboo was the cheapest option at the supermarket. This is a noble individual purchase which will surely reverse climate change.

Let's talk about the mouthfeel.

 

Have you ever eaten paper? Ever accidentally licked paper? Thought you were eating some tasty nougat covered in rice paper only to discover it wasn't? Now imagine that the rough paper you're rubbing against sensitive flesh is as thick as an old confectioner's lollipop. Thoroughly unpleasant.

As I alluded to eight or so lines up, small individual purchases don't amount to much of a systemic change. Hell, last year a large chunk of industrial states had their lowest automobile use in years and the carbon reduction was much smaller than we need. Fundamental changes to industrial processes, materials used in almost every good produced, sources for energy used, transport infrastucture and heating/cooling for homes need to change. Political problems that require political solutions.

As I awkwardly cleaned my teeth with this terrible toothbrush I thought about systemic changes, how they're sold to communities at large and a time that both structures and cultural attitudes changed: the mid-late 00s Australian droughts. Basically, the Pacific Ocean underwent several years of El Niño and Australia ran very low on water. My state government built a desalination plant (which is currently in plans to be mothballed because short-sighted pursuit of profit is for jerks). Restrictions were placed on most uses of water, including gardens only being allowed to receive water on certain days. The messaging was clear and the general public accepted it as necessary, cutting down their water usage. So did many institutions at a larger scale. It turns out when you have clear goals, clear stakes and a clear message it's possible to effect change!

I thought about this water situation while the bamboo worked its way around my gums because in the grand scheme of things it's a minor inconvenience. My teeth were cleaned and the mouthfeel left shortly after. A world with sustainable use of resources is going to require many more such minor inconveniences and many major fundamental shifts into how our society works. But as I reflected on this piece of wood and thought about how careless use of sprinklers still makes me cringe I left the bathroom hopeful that maybe we can actually fix up this planet in the decade or so we have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment